Monday, May 16, 2011

In real life...

I'm pretty dang shy.  Morbidly so.

Yesterday my son was invited to two birthday parties.  One you've already heard about...Tripe, remember.

The other was at Chuck E Cheese.  If you have kids and you've been there, then you know how crazy insane that place is for an adult.  It's loud, it's dirty, the food is less than great, even the fountain sodas taste like the water them down.  And I don't mean with carbonated water, I mean with tap water.  And you KNOW that Chuck E is the last person to get reprimanded.  "As your punishment for bad behavior you will be Chuck E this week".

So back to how I'm shy...I have no idea how to talk to new people when there isn't already a common friend around.  My husband is friends with the kids dad.  They work together, they see each other every day, thereby, they have a friendly relationship and know how to talk to each other and what to talk about.  I, however, with my bad back and sciatic pain went to sit down at the party table, where I thought I might manage communication with the wife of the kids dad.  I failed.

I tried to talk to her.  I did.  I think I'm just not interesting enough.  Or maybe I had something on my face.  At any rate, I was sitting at a table with another lady.  She looked friendly enough, until she brought out her phone and texted the entire time, thereby locking me out of any possible communication with her because I'm too nice to interrupt her tapping away with her thumbs.

Why wasn't my husband around?  Well, he was being a good daddy and following our kiddo around and helping him play the games that are too advanced for him.

When it was time for punished Chuck E to sing to all the party kids, the hubbies finally came around.  Mine sat at the table with me.  Texting lady was nice enough to find my kiddo a seat at the big table with all the other kids.  (told you she looked nice - she just wasn't interested in conversation with me)  Once hubby was near me and the comfort of him was washing over me I was finally able to talk.  Mostly, though, it was to hubby's friend since he was standing right at our table blocking everything else that was going on around us.  I can't blame him though, he was trying to get to the pizza, but some other lady was standing at that table oblivious to anyone's plight but Chuck E's.  Maybe she had a crush on Chuck E.

Anyway, I just don't know how to talk to people.  I mean, what do you say to start a conversation with a perfect stranger?...  "Hi there!  Nice weather we're having...do you drink?  Do you mind if I get wasted at your kids 6th birthday party?"

No comments:

Post a Comment